Monday, September 13, 2004

I know I'm Little...

...but some lady at Target just ran over my foot with her cart and when I yelped had the nerve to say "Oh, I didn't see you there." Lady! I am the only person in line! WTF? She didn't even say sorry to me. And do you know why she mowed me down with her cart? Because she saw another checkout open and she wanted to be the first one there. The funny thing is, I was almost done! I was signing the electronic box and getting on my way. Now, I am the last one to talk about patience because I know that I am short on it. A lot. But I usually try not to make a habit of RUNNING PEOPLE OVER!

And here is the other thing: I can't help wondering if people think that I am young and that it is okay to treat me a certain way. I know I have this problem at stores. And it really pisses me off. If I go to the mall in jeans, a t-shirt, flip flops, and a ponytail (which is what I can mostly be found in) I can pretty much guarantee that I will be ignored at the nicer stores. This ticks me off to no end! I make my own money, I have my own credit cards, and I am happy to spend good money on quality clothes, especially those that fit! These people have no idea where I work or what I do, what gives them the right to decide that I am just a young girl with no money? UGH! It's just as bad when I go shopping with my best friend. She is the same size as me and looks very young as well.

It reminds of the time that my two friends (Chelsea V and Weenie) and I went to Palm Springs for a relaxing spa day. Ahhh...we spent several blissful hours at Two Bunch Palms being massaged and relaxing in the hot springs. Obviously by the time we left we were extremely relaxed, but we weren't looking our best. Our hair was up, we had no make-up on and we were all in comfy shorts and tank tops. We decide that before we hit the outlets, we need to refuel so we head on over to PF Changs. Where we are ignored and generally treated like poo. Everyone else is getting their food, getting attention from our waitress, generally being treated well. When we complained to the manager we get a half-hearted apology and a little laugh. The only possible explanation we can think of is that we were being treated like this because we looked young. Luckily Changs redeemed themselves when I wrote an angry letter on their website! Hee!

Anywhoo, I totally lost my train of thought (why did I start this post?), but the point is, maybe we should all be a tiny bit nicer to younger people (or those that look young). At least until they give us a reason not to...which may not take too long! hee hee...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kis Lee said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5'1'' and it's such a bitch shopping for clothes, especially suits. Arrrgh. I would have knocked that lady out (unless she was really old).

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mel, try attaching one of those flags they put on little kids bikes to your back. If that doesn't work, you could also where a hot with a blinking red light. People will notice you - probably for all the wrong reasons. They may still choose to mow you down, but at least it won't be an accident.

BTW, thanks for the comment. You are only the second person to do so. I'm a bit of a blog looser right now and can use all the help I can get.

7:55 PM  
Blogger No Milk Please said...

:) enjoy looking young, it's a blessing, so wear something really scandalous! ;)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

O.k. I don't think size has much to do with it. I only say that because I am about 5' 11" and people still run me over. I know what you're talking about with the age thing, however it seems to me that customer service has gone out the window entirely. I too have found much satisfaction (and free goods) in letter writing. Sorry shopping was a bummer for you.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Oddgirl said...

Hey Mike K didn't say that! Nina said that. He must of logged himself on while I was cooking dinner. Sorry about that.

9:00 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i generally get treated like crap and people condescend to me all the time. especially at work. luckily, my boss doesn't stand for it and screams at the offending parties until they call me and apologize...

as for shopping, i hate it anyway, so i can't remember the last time i had bad service going clothes or shoe shopping...

9:40 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Nina, I have to agree with you, customer service is so hard to find nowadays! We ate out this weekend at a pretty well-known restaurant...and got treated like crap!! I am so over it! I think the chains are worse because they know that no matter how they treat people, there will always be someone else waiting for a table!
UGH!
Little Eyes, I hear ya on the suit thing. Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft both have really nice and fashionable suits that I rarely have to get hemmed in their Petites section (I am 5 ft). check them out!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

high five on Ann Taylor. Yep, the only place where I can buy something and I don't need to get it tailored.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home