Thursday, September 16, 2004

Puck Off!!

Every year about this time, I start to get excited. I love fall. I love the smell, the temperature, the holidays, the clothes, etc. But most of all, I love me some hockey.

Around October the pre-season games start. All the changes over the summer are displayed for everyone to see. You get to see some players who maybe missed the end of the previous season due to injury. You get to see new players that have been added to the team, and observe how well they work with the existing team. It's so exciting! It gets you pumped up for your team, for the season. For me, I get to practice calling the refs every god-awful name under the sun. I get to practice standing up for three periods, drinking beer and holding it for a period and then running as fast as I can to the restroom, knocking down dumb girls as I go. The pre-season is a beautiful thing because it means the season is coming.

Or not, as is the case this year. It is with a heavy heart that I have been observing the events of the past few weeks in the NHL. Negotiations have flown out the window faster than you can say "Frasier sucks!" And with those negotiations, most of what I look forward to about fall has gone, too.

I enjoy sports for the most part, but not like I enjoy hockey. I get obsessed. I turn into a completely different person. Most of my friends and family will not go to a game with me. They usually won't even go to a sports bar or even watch the game with me at home. They will definitely not bring their children near me. I am a monster when it comes to hockey. I can barely think about anything else. It is ugly.

When I still lived at home, the neighbors once called the cops from all the noise I was making. Imagine my embarrassment when I had to explain to the police that yes, I was making all that noise. No, no one else is home right now. Yes, I am watching television. It is a playoff game between the Avs and the Wings. Do you understand how serious that is? Sorry, officer, I have to go. The puck is back in play.

NOW WHAT AM I LEFT WITH!?!?! I suppose I can watch the Ice Dogs play. That's always fun. But it's not the same. It's not my Avs. They don't show them on TV. I can't go to a sports bar and get a crowd riled up. It's just not the same. I can't tape their schedule to my fridge and plan my social life around it (or lack thereof as the case may be). I can't wear my lucky shirt and not wash it until they, god-forbid, lose. I mean, I suppose I can...but no, it's just not the same.

Without a "healthy" outlet for my anger, where will it all go? At least hockey allows me to yell and cuss and throw things at people that are not personally affected by me. Who am I going to take that out on? Any volunteers?!?!

Geesh! I am going to have a lot of pent up anger. I hope my friends and family make it through to the Spring...

7 Comments:

Blogger Kis Lee said...

ummmm, you could always take up kickboxing or boxing. I didn't even realize that there were still hockey fans in southern California. I know the Anaheim team gets a pretty big crowd, but that's about it.

2:31 PM  
Blogger grace said...

holy crap. i'm with little eyes... i had no idea that there were rabid hockey fans in california. heh. i thought that was only in detroit...

yeah, the ducks have their fans after that weird season where they actually did well...

i avoid all sports at all costs. long story. bad experience with an ex. heh.

2:43 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

For the record, I am HATE the Ducks! Not necessarily the team itself, but the management and coaches and all that. It's Disney for you! I love and support a real hockey team (the Avalanche)!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Oddgirl said...

I am the same way about baseball. I can't go anywhere during baseball season. God, help Michael if he tries to change the channel. I will gnaw his arm off for the remote.

At least you have a minor league team. We don't have crap anymore. They disolved our team... boo hoo.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Roy Hobbs said...

Holy crap another Aves fan in Cali. That is great. Here I thought I was the only one. Yes, my hear t is also heavy w/ sorrow that this wonderful game called hockey will not be played this year. Good thing there is football.

11:11 AM  
Blogger grace said...

for a second, i thought roy was going to cry.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i'll just start watching QVC and wait for a fight to break out. I know it's bound to happen.

Hockey rules but this sucks ass!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home