Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Why Today Sucks

Today my doggy had to be put to sleep. I never got to say good-bye. I know my dad did it that way so that we wouldn't be upset. So that we would always remember him for the happy puppy that he was. I know why he did it. I just don't like it. It sucks not getting to say good-bye.

I know many of you are thinking to yourselves that it is just a dog. But I guess unless you grow up with a dog, you just can't understand. I am going to miss him so much. It's not going to be the same going to my parent's house without having him run down the stairs to meet you. Or being in the car, sitting in the back seat with him running over us kids back and forth between the windows. Or looking down through our glass dining table during dinner to see him staring up at you from under the table.

When I stayed home sick from school, he always knew. He would sit in front of my bedroom door in the morning and wait for me to open it. Then he would hop on my bed and lay on my feet until I got up. When I moved to the couch he would snuggle in and lay with me. He always took such good care of me when I was sick.

Our favorite place to snuggle was in front of the fire. When my dad made a fire in the fireplace, I would grab a pillow and a blanket and he would come and get cozy with me and watch TV.

This sucks. Sleep well, Benji. I'll miss you.

18 Comments:

Blogger BUMBLE!!! said...

Our thoughts and solidarity with you in your time of sadness. )-:
No matter what, you'll always have your memories and those are always a good thing. Hope your tomorrow is better than your today.

5:33 PM  
Blogger THE J Mo said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Mel. I hope you can cheer up soon.

Take care.

5:41 PM  
Blogger cat said...

so so so SO sorry, mel! i have lost two doggies in my lifetime.. one of whom i had to make the decision -- hardest decision ever, let me tell you.

you can always have Jinx... he just punched out the screen on the window and tore apart one of the pillows on my couch... i am ready to send him to abou-dabi!

but seriously... HUGS and i am sorry :(

7:09 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

That's awful. Sorry for your loss, Mel.

8:05 PM  
Blogger LE Sweetz said...

:( sorry for your loss.

8:47 PM  
Blogger PlatinumGirl said...

Deja vu -- I saw this on your MS page. Like I said there, a friend is a friend. I wouldn't say "just a dog." Losing someone or something you love is painful. You're entitled to your grief. Feel better.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Yankeebob said...

Sorry to hear about that Mel. You are right, if you've never raised a dog you wouldn't understand how attached you can get to them. *hugs*

5:24 AM  
Blogger grace said...

awwww... i'm sorry, honey!!!

are you okay?

call me if you need anything, okay?

xox

11:02 AM  
Blogger Rarry said...

Awweeee... Poor Mel... If it makes you feel better I'll sleep on your feet and cuddle up with you next to the fireplace :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

And I'll lick your face... :)

Keep smilin' Mel. It'll be ok...

6:51 PM  
Blogger lecram sinun said...

I have 4 dogs and love allof them. I feel your loss.

10:10 PM  
Blogger peachy said...

The picture made me start crying. I know how it feels to have your dog put to sleep. I'm SO sorry, Mel.

On a good note, after my family dog got put to sleep I figured I'd never get another. Now I have Jemma and she brings just as much joy to my life as Cookie did. Maybe even more because she's all mine. :)

4:56 AM  
Blogger R said...

I had a dog for 19 years. he recently passed. It was very hard to handle, especially since I didn't get to say good bye either.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Awna said...

I'm so sorry. Our dog has a couple months to live according to the vets. It's hard to say goodbye.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Java Boo Boo said...

It's never easy... having to put a pet to sleep. Especially when it's been a lifelong friend.

Sorry for your loss.

~K

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you, Mel. How angry are you at your dad? 'Cuse I'm boiling at him, myself. You at the very least deserved more closure.

6:23 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words. It has been a hard couple of days, but I know that he is in a much better place right now. I am still sad that I didn't get to say good-bye, but at least I have plenty of good memories of him.

I hope to get my own shmoopy-poopy puppy soon!

10:05 AM  
Blogger ~art said...

sorry about your dog

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home