Saturday, September 18, 2004

Stupid Clubs

So yesterday I had a "me" day. I woke up and went to the spa and got an awesome facial from my favorite esthetician. It was so nice to start a day out being relaxed and pampered instead of starting it out cursing like a sailor and yelling at my fellow commuters. After my facial, I met a couple of friends for brunch. We sat outside on the water, we had a nice breakfast, we had mimosas (mmmm...my favorite). After that I went apartment hunting, which is a HUGE pain in the ass! However, Renee was nice enough to ride bitch and cover the right side of the street and use her super vision to read tiny numbers on miniscule signs that are 300 feet away. She rules!

In the afternoon I went to a work-sponsored going away party, followed by non-work-sponsored drinks. Totally unrelated story: We were discussing songs from the 80's and getting the words wrong. One of my co-workers told us that his brother used to think that song "Walking in LA" was actually "Walking On a Lake". hee hee...now I can't stop singing that!

We decided that we needed to go home and "get pretty" and go out-out. I haven't put on my fancies and my nice make-up and gone out since Vegas! I was so excited! We met for cocktails and then we headed over to V2O, the new club in Long Beach.

LAME!!! It was a total bait and switch! As we are walking up to the club, we hear good hip-hop and old school music being played. Awwww yeah, I am soooo gonna get my groove on! $20 and an Amstel Light later, I find myself standing in a nicely decorated, very large, half-empty club listening to house/trance/loud "music to kill yourself to". UGH! I wander around and notice another room...another room with hip-hop music. Now that's more like it...Now, to get in there I just need to stand IN THIS HUGE MOTHER-FUCKIN' LINE!! Whaaaaat? Let me get this straight: I stood in line and paid $20 to get into this place to stand in line? Who the hell came up with this concept?

We were just standing around anyway, so we figured we might as well stand in line...for an hour! By the time we got in the other room, there was only about 45 minutes left to dance. Grrr! At least it was a quality 45 minutes...

To make matters worse, we parked in the parking structure. On the 4th floor (that was all that was available!). It took us 45 minutes to get outta there! There is only one way to get out and only two booths open! It was insane!

Is the city of Long Beach so hurting for money that they need to cause major commotion and unrest for $3/car? They probably spent more money on labor than they made on the parking! Or not, who knows. But they certainly pissed me off! And I love my city, I do. But this was just madness! There was honking, yelling, screeching. I thought for sure I would see a fight somewhere. It left such a bad taste in my mouth. It's really too bad, too. I would much rather hop in a cab or take a short drive to a local club, instead of having to drive to LA. I would much rather support my local businesses as opposed to spending money elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. The club and the parking situation were so poorly organized! It was pure chaos and for the amount of money that we spent, just not worth it. I think that if Long Beach wants to "upgrade" and portray itself as the new "hot spot" they have a lot of work to do. Back to the drawing board, guys!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can create a club in any 10x10 foot space for about $57.50. Just get some limes, some cheap mexican beer, a cooler, ice, a boom box and 20 Tikki torches. If nobady gets torched, then it's a good night.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

I know the parking structure you're talking about. that one sucks ass! Such a pain to get outta there.

9:51 AM  
Blogger grace said...

long beach is cool and all, but they need help planning the parking structures... oh, and getting good dj's to get out there.

10:26 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Yeah, the LBC needs some SERIOUS re-organization (is that a word?). It has so much potential, just needs to work out the kinks...

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home