Sunday, October 24, 2004

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I realize that the month is almost over and I have been meaning to post this since the first! Anyway, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor so this cause is very near and dear to my heart.

Last year my mom and I participated in the Susan G. Komen Foundation 3-Day Walk. We walked 60 miles in three days and raised just over $3,000 each. It was one of the best experiences of my entire life and I will never forget it. We met so many different men and women, some that had been personally affected by this disease and some who had not. Some people who were survivors (some of them VERY young) and some who had family fighting the disease at that time.

It was very emotional and my mom and I spent a good marjority of the time wih tears in our eyes (as did everyone else). By the end of the three days we were completely drained and exhausted, both physically and emotionally. We could barely walk, our muscles were so sore and stiff. But every moment was worth it.

We didn't do it this year because we didn't plan ahead. But when I saw the walkers going through my town this year, I couldn't help but feel sad and proud. Proud that those people gave up three days (and more including training and recovery) to do what they could for other people. And sad because I wasn't a part of it this year. My mom felt the same way. Needless to say, we are going to start planning for next year. I can't wait.

I posted a few pictures from our walk last year.

7 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Fair play to you Mel, that's great. And the pictures are cool as well. (Somehow though, you never really struck me as a tent kind of girl...!)

2:17 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Dude, I can camp with the best of em...however, after walking for 20 miles, all I wanted was a fluffy Grand Bed at the Hyatt (but then I am a little biased). When we do the walk in 2005, we aren't camping, we are getting hotel rooms with hot showers and room service!

2:21 AM  
Blogger cat said...

Way to go, Mel! My mother is a survivor as well. I don't know if we'd ever be able to do that though. We're not that, um.. we're lazy. Ha! But I think it's very cool that there's something like that out there. It does sound like a wonderful experience. Start training now for 2005!!

Oh, and Shawn says thanks for posting pictures because you're a hottie. Ha! So mature, my boy is. *eye roll*

2:51 PM  
Blogger grace said...

those pics are great... thanks for posting them...

and you are just too cute! :D

10:07 AM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

great work, Mel. I think I was in LBC when the ladies were walking through it. I'm going to have to at least try next year.

great pics!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Cat - Next year, I will walk for your mom, too!

Little Eyes - You would be amazed at what you can push yourself to do when you really want to. You could always start out small, do the one-day walks and then work up to the 3-day.

Fishy - Congrats on your accomplishment. You are amazing! Were you totally blown away by the support from the community? I know I was. Next year we are going to the walk in Chicago, just for a change of scenery...

9:25 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

And yes, MAJOR hockey withdrawals. It sucks!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home