Thursday, September 23, 2004

Clarification

So Beyond Elsewhere was kind enough to mention my Blog in her Blog. Thanks! She also mentioned that there was confusion about the title of my Blog, Incestuous Amplification. Cindy-Lou concured. Hee. I love that word.

Anywhoo, I am a word geek. I love words and phrases and lingo. I subscribe to Word Spy's Word of the Day. One day, the word/phrase was Incestuous Amplification.

incestuous amplification n. The reinforcement of set beliefs among like-minded people, leading to miscalculations and errors in judgment.

"In a nutshell: Like-minded people, talking only with one another, usually end up believing a more extreme version of what they thought before they started to talk.—Cass R. Sunstein, "The Power of Dissent," Los Angeles Times, September 17, 2003"

So as you can see, it is like a smarter, more modern version of mob mentality. For some reason, I am obssessed with mob mentality. It is so fascinating to me to see people work each other up into a frenzy. I love to see it! So, incestuous amplification became my new favorite concept. Hence, the tagline of my Blog: "Mob mentality at it's smartest."

It has nothing to do with incest at all, you pervys!! Hee hee...I realize that I just wrote a post about how wonderful my brother is...ew. Gross. Pervy.

8 Comments:

Blogger Quyen said...

My pervy mind has been enlightened :)

11:58 PM  
Blogger cat said...

You know, I feel sort of like a mini-celebrity having been mentioned in your blog. Whee!

Ah, I see now. There you go being all smart and stuff (even without the paper!). :) I rather like the title of your blog for it's sound. It's fun to walk around and just say "incestuous amplification" out loud. Although I do get funny looks from those I work with.

Oh, and I, too, like the word concur (is there an "e" on that? You know, like in potatoe? hee.)

I also like commas. :)

5:03 AM  
Blogger grace said...

oh, man. i'm so boring. i only get merriam-webster's word of the day... and at least 90% of the time i know the word already... i need a new place to get words...

10:20 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

I'm telling ya, Word Spy...has the best words! Plus you can just wander around thier site and pick up new words. All of your friends will be impressed with how hip you are on the vocabulary front!

11:08 AM  
Blogger cat said...

I'm so totally lame, I'm the only one not getting words of the day here. I would, but, um, I really don't care about new words. I just tend to make my own up each day.

I also emphasize my new words with a lot of crazy hand gestures until I've mimed out the meaning so people can follow what I am saying. Ha! Apparently I am quite amusing to watch..

1:37 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

You guys are far too clever for me to be reading. My blog is called 'The Hard Word' simply because I find words difficult to spell....

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will never play Scrabble with any of you. Did I spell Scrabble right?

11:27 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Duckie, I am not that good. If you see my above comment, you will notice that I spelled "their" wrong!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home