Friday, September 24, 2004

The Cool Factor

We had a very intense conversation at lunch today. It was a melding of the minds, genius against genius, debates to shun all other debates. The topic?

What made Fonzie so cool?

Seriously. As far as I can tell, he was kind of a loser. I mean, he lived above the Cunningham's garage. He was at least 10 years older than all of his friends (who were still in high school!). He dated high school girls. And he was short and not exceptionally good looking.

Now, I don't know about you, but when I was in high school, we had one word to describe older guys that continued to hang out with the high school kids and try to date the girls: Creepy.

So he was the only one on the show with a leather jacket (at least until Chachi popped up, but even then, what made Chachi cool?). Yes, he could hit the jukebox with his fist and get the music going. Anything else? C'mon, what do you got for me? I am outta ideas.

I think the only thing that made him cool, was that he was the coolest out of that whole group. I mean, there isn't much competition from Richie, Ralph and Potsie (Does anyone know where the nickname "Potsie" came from? I know his real name was Waren, but I can't figure out where the nickname came from)!!

So, I suppose that Fonzie was only cool as a result of his environment. Do you think that if Fonzie would have wandered around 90210, he would've been accepted? Heck no! First of all the creepy "no-really-I'm-young-enough-to-be-in-high-school-despite-my-receeding-hairline" role was already taken by Dylan McKay. And had Fonzie ever tried to approach Kelly or Brenda, they would have cried "pervert" faster than you could say "teen crisis center".

What if Fonzie tried to befriend the gang from Weemawee High School (Square Pegs)? Do you think Jennifer DeNuccio would give Fonzie the time of day? I don't even think Muffy or Patty would think he was cool!

Could you imagine Fonzie hanging out at The Max? Joining in the dance contests with Jessie and Lisa. Hanging out at Zack's place, making fun of Screech. Ew. Screech.

The answer is no! He just wasn't that cool! I don't get it! Am I totally off base here, or has it been a conspiracy all this time? You know, everyone agrees that he's not that cool, but rather than face the ridicule and shame of your peers, you keep it to yourself. Fonzie is giving me a headache. What do you all think?

7 Comments:

Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

You have no idea of the ridiculousness of our conversations at lunch! I should start "talking" about them more!

3:09 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Oh Z's D...you wiley creature you...you would think that someone at my table was standing up for Fonzie. And there was! However, it wasn't the person you would think...it was actually our curly-haired friend...not our young one. He was on my side (as he should be!).

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

You're right, Fonzie was "cool" in relative terms. Ralph Mouth, Rich, and Potzie (sp?) were all major dorks in comparison. Fonzie was cool because he could get a lot of nookie even though he wasn't that cool.

I never thought Dylan McKay was cool either. I did like Kelly's coke-snorting, artist boyfriend (was his name Colin?) He was borderline cool.

11:21 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Oh yeah...Colin. He is now a policeman in NYC...on Third Watch! Hee hee...remember when Dean Cain played "Rick" the guy that Brenda met in Paris?!?!

11:28 PM  
Blogger cat said...

Now that I think of it, I never really noticed that Fonzie was so creepily old when I was young. When I see Happy Days reruns now I'm all... ew!

I thought Potsie was cute though. I always liked the odd guy no one else did.

I wonder if anyone else there realized that Fonzie was closer to Mr. & Mrs. C's age then theirs?

Oh, and Chachie... NEVER cool. Ugh

8:04 AM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Thanks, CL! It only took me like three hours!! Hahahaha!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of creepy, not only was Dean Cain the guy Brenda met in Paris, he also played Scott Peterson in a recent TV movie and we all know Scott Peterson was supposedly in Paris with his 2 buddies, Francois and Pasqual. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home