Sunday, December 12, 2004

Back to "Normal"

So I am slowly but surely returning to my "normal" existence. Whew! These last two weeks have been quite the wild ride. I am drained. Emotionally, physically, mentally. Thank you to everyone who offered such support throughout this time. It really means a lot to me. CL even offered me a place to chill out! You rock!

Isn't it funny how different people handle grief and mourning? I had a front row seat to observe all the different reactions. I was amazed at how many people just stepped up to the plate and took care of things without even asking what was needed. Two of my second cousins (bare with me, we are Mexican and my extended family is extremely ginormous!) really blew me away. They were both at the hospital every single day, without fail. One would bring donuts and coffee in the morning, sandwiches at lunch and more coffee in the afternoon. They both drove my great-aunts all around and took care of them. They cooked food for the gathering after the service. Just overall so selfless in their assistance and support.

And then I had the second cousins that I thought would be there and just weren't. Hmmm.

However, the biggest thing for me was how much time I got to spend with my cousins (first) and be there for them and them for me. Although we all would rather have gathered for a different reason, it was good just to be together. We all gave each other huge hugs when we saw each other (even if it had just been a few hours) and we all cried and held hands when needed. It was so special.

But I never could've gotten through this whole ordeal without my brother. He has truly been my rock throughout these two weeks and I am so grateful. We were very close before and even more so now. I truly love him with all my heart and so grateful that I have him.

So, I don't want to bring anyone down during the holidays, so no more sad, sappy stuff. Thank you all for being patient with me and not abandoning me. And at Christmas this year, be sure to appreciate and hug every single member of your family. Even the ones that smell funny. Do it for me and my Grandmother!

11 Comments:

Blogger cat said...

**hugs**
good to have you back. sorry about everything you've been going through - that's never fun. but it's great to have such a close and loving family. stuff like this always brings out the warmth and love in people. it helps get you through it all.

even your blog is feeling better and all perky! woo! and you are always welcome to come chill out here - it's very chilly what with all the snow and winter and stuff. :)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Yankeebob said...

Welcome back Mel. I've said a daily prayer for you and your family since you first posted about your Grandmother.

It's hard to go through stuff like that, but it sounds like you have a great family. Funny how you find out truths about people when a time comes and they are needed.

I'll be hugging all my family members this year. "Even the ones that smell funny." We have a few older aunts that fit this description, but I hug them anyway. When I do, I'll definitely think of you and your Grandmother. How could I not after that line? I know it'll give me a smile.

6:39 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

You are so beautiful Mel! In every single possible way!

7:21 AM  
Blogger grace said...

glad to have you back...

if you need anything... let me know... :)

XOX

12:39 PM  
Blogger Oddgirl said...

Glad your back Mel. If there is anything Michael and I can do to help let us know.

I think I could manage talking Michael into the pony dance for you. That would give you a good hearty laugh.:) Is it bad I use Michael for entertainment?

Our deepest sympathies...

(((hugs)))

3:18 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

*does the 'Mel is Back I so Happy' jig. It is a very jaunty jig, full of... jaunt and such.*

Seriously though -- welcome back! I will hug all stinky cousins at the first opportunity!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

glad you're back. sorry about everything you've been through. *hugs*

11:09 AM  
Blogger Quyen said...

Glad to have you back! :)

It's true about families really coming together in times of need. My dad, who I hadn't talked to in 8 years, visited me when I was at the hospital a few months ago. I was so surprised that he even showed up. But I guess that's what makes family, your family. :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

You're welcome to come chill out anytime. Family crisis or not. (tequila optional)

8:15 PM  
Blogger grace said...

where's mel? :(

1:26 PM  
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Are you still coming up here for the holidays? The bars are calling my name.....

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home