Friday, February 18, 2005

A Life Less Ordinary

Do you think that people, who are not creative or imaginative, lead less-exciting lives? Do you think that they fail to see the details? The humor? The sadness of life?

Before we get into that, what makes a person creative? Is there a creative gene that some people are born with, or does everyone start out the same? I know that some people are constantly stimulated in creative environments, while others aren’t. For example, I think that my parents did a really good job of always making sure that Brother and I were surrounded by creativity. We grew up exposed to art, books, music, and imagination. I started to read at age four and I haven’t slowed down. There was always music in my house. And not just the run-of-the-mill Top 40, either. My parents exposed us to so many different styles. We listened to Mexican music, Hawaiian music, jazz, big band, and old school, the Beatles…everything! I was probably the only three-year-old in my neighborhood to sing all the words to Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder (I still love that song!).

Brother and I weren’t plopped in front of the television a lot, either. We were always outside playing. We would play “school” in the garage, or “house” in the backyard. We didn’t have a lot of toys or fancy bikes, but we had good imaginations. We were always setting up stands on the corner to sell something.

Brother was the best with duct tape and rope. If he had a little of each, he would be busy for hours! One afternoon, my dad and I were sitting in our living room. We could hear my brother out front, patiently calling “Daaaad” every couple of minutes. There was nothing panicked or extreme about the way he was calling him. Finally, after about 10 minutes of trying to tune him out, my dad gets up and looks out the window. And breaks into hysterical laughter. Apparently Brother decided he was going to practice “climbing” on our large tree in the front yard. He rigged up a “pulley” system and proceeded to pull himself up…just far enough that his toes were about 2 inches off the ground and he was swinging back and forth. So of course we had to leave him hanging there for a bit while we called everyone over to come and look. Poor kid.

But I digress. I am sure that everyone has some sort of crazy story like that. I am sure that every kid had great adventures fueled by their creativity and imagination. But at what point do some people stop using their creativity and imagination? I know that in this day and age, maturity goes a long way towards being accepted by your “peers”. But if my peers are not creative and fun, do I really want them as my peers?

How do these people pass the time and amuse themselves while they are waiting for the doctor? Or while using the Elliptical machine at the gym? Or anywhere! I am always making up stories about the people around me. LB and I could sit for hours and people watch and tell their stories. We crack ourselves up! We have different voices for people, different scenarios, etc. We can’t explain this to everyone, though. Some of our friends think we are weird, or, that dreaded word again, immature.

I know that different people react to art, theater, literature and music in different ways. For example, art makes me cry. Not because it makes me sad, but because it is so overwhelming and I am in awe. The first time I saw a Van Gogh in person, I stood in front of it for an hour, with tears running down my cheeks. I couldn’t get over the color, the texture. I had so many questions running through my head, I was mesmerized. When I went to the Guggenheim in Venice, it was the same way. If you’ve never been there, the museum is actually Peggy Guggenheim’s house that has been converted into an art museum. I kept thinking to myself “She walked barefoot down this hall…she had drinks with friends in this room…” It was so overwhelming!

When I tell those stories to some of my friends, they look at me like I have lost my marbles. Have I? Maybe. But I feel bad for them. How sad to see everything in a literal sense, black and white. How sad to put limits on the way you express yourself. How sad to look at a painting and only see a picture. Or to read a book and only think it was a nice story.

That is why I appreciate my Blogging friends so much. I know that if I find something silly or funny, one of you is bound to laugh, too! I know that if I talk about my fascination with a book or a building or a person, you will understand. You may not understand why, but you will understand how.

The older I get, the more I realize that some people are forced to put a cap on their imagination or creativity in the name of maturity. For the record, I refuse to do that. If that makes me immature, then so be it. But I like my imagination. I like to make up stories. I like to laugh and have fun. I hope you all choose the same.

6 Comments:

Blogger Yankeebob said...

Mel, you are amazing! I love everything you've written here. I studied art for all the same reasons you spoke of. My emotional rush came from Monet. Still does. I can't get enough. I spend hours and hours inside the National Museum of Art. I love M.C. Escher too.

I think that the creative gene really isn't a gene. I think it comes from an open mind. People seem to end up a bit more close-minded when the 'maturity' thing hits them. That's what I think anyway. I have a hard time trying to be a 'grown-up'.

So, in answer to your first question(s), I guess I do think people who are not creative or imaginative, lead less-exciting lives, they fail to see the details, the humor and the sadness of life. But I'd bet it is a conscious decision most of the time. To me, it's sad.

You're not immature Mel. You're special. The observations you made about Van Gogh & then Peggy Guggenheim walking in the hall etc.... just awesome. I'm glad you're not planning to change, especially in the name of 'maturity'. And I'm glad to know you. Even from a distance, I like you just the way you are.

5:15 PM  
Blogger peachy said...

Why does YB have to be so eloquent all the time??

I have to agree, closed minded people have nothing. Nothing happy, nothing sad. They don't appreciate the finer things in life or the cards that they are dealt. They just live and breathe. It's sad.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that had not been out of the state of MD. Maryland is a small state. I can't imagine not wanting to go north to PA or south to VA. What is wrong with that guy? No imagination and no concern for anything but his bubble I guess.

I like you the way you are too, and I want to make up stories over drinks!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger cat said...

it's funny that you wrote this, mel. not ha ha, funny, but you know, funny. i was thinking all day about writing a bout how i am afriad i have been losing my imagination as i get older. or at least, it's less vivid in me than it was. i have always been a daydreamer. i could tuen out almost anything with a day dream (unfortunately a LOT of school time, hee!) and sometimes i'd get so into my fantasy that i'd start to tell someone something (like, hey i have a record deal!) and then stop suddenly because it wasn't truth.

that was my youth and teen years. now i have trouble concentraiting on dreams because i am too busy with reality. i don't have time. and i don't want to lose that part of me. i need to create and be creative. i need music and art and reading. i, too started reading at the age of 4.

i liked this post a lot. and having been online for about 10 years now and knowing what a blessing it is to be able to meet others who have the same thoughts and ideas and can like you for YOU. i really get it.

7:40 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Beautiful Mel -

I think that creativity comes from two things - imagination and confidence.

Imagination is where the initial idea comes from, whether it's painting, writing music, writing words or whatever. Confidence is taking that idea and showing it to the world.

There are so many people out there who are creative but won't let it show because they don't have the confidence to do so. But if you look at some of what we consider to be masterpieces - Van Goch's Sunflowers, the song Yesterday by Paul McCartney, the book Animal Farm by George Orwell - all of these are so simple in their form that they are almost child like. If their creators hadn't had the confidence to show them to the world without being embarrassed at the possible reaction, then their creativity would never have been know to us.

I don't think that creativity is a gene in the respect that some people have it and some don't. I think everyone is creative - whether that creativity comes in the form of being good at sport or at music or at writing or at theatre or whatever. And I think that everyone has the imagination to nurture whichever creativity they have.

The problem with creativity - I believe - lies with peoples' confidence.

No one knows the difficulties of insecurity more than I do (look at how long it took me to put my pic on my site! Remember how long I was Fossie Bear?!).

Every day I question myself - Am I ugly? Do people still find me funny? Is my writing any good? All that kind of stuff and hundreds more. Insecurity is poison to creativity. Absolute poison.

Cat said something interesting - she said she worries about losing her imagination as she gets older. I understand that completely. I worry about the same thing, and - owning up time - that is exactly the reason why I became JB back in October last year, and took a break earlier this year.

It is hard to keep up a standard of work once you've got it to a certain level. And so many things effect my view of that standard.

It is difficult for me sometimes, because I don't write personal stuff on my Blog. That is my choice, so I have nothing to complain about - but it also means that I post less frequently than other people, and might appear a little more stand-offish.

Sometimes I see people who used to read & comment on my site and who don't any more, commenting all the time on other people's - and I think well, why don't you read me any more? Am I not funny any more? Am I not interesting any more? Why don't these people read me any more?

If we boil this right down to basic psychology, what I am really thinking is Why don't these people like me any more? It is textbook psychology - the need to be needed, the need to be wanted, the need to be loved.

While something like a Blog can be really important because it lets people project their creativity (anonomously, if they like) to the world, and to build up friendships and confidence, blogging can also cut that confidence away really quickly, if they let it.

I don't think you are being silly Mel, or insecure, or childish. What you have shown me through your blog and through the emails we exchange is that you are a beautiful beautiful person, who is highly creative and extremely talented.

And there's nothing wrong with dreaming, Mel.

Where would we be without our dreams...?

12:20 AM  
Blogger a beer sort of girl said...

What an amazing group of people drawn together here. I wish we could all be as free as we are here.

By the way, ever read Orbiting the Giant Hairball? It's all about creativity vs. modern coporate life/maturity/boredom.

1:25 PM  
Blogger grace said...

i can't add anything eloquent to this post... but i just wanted to say that it was a beautiful post...

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home