Monday, November 08, 2004

That Bitch Took My Money and She Went to Chicago!

My friend Renee rules. She is the only one that I can bribe with cigarettes, Diet Coke and the Violent Femmes in exchange for riding bitch on the great apartment hunt. She doesn't freak out when I slam on the brakes and swerve to the right or make a sudden u-turn because I see that little red sign. Plus, she has eyes like a hawk (have I mentioned how irritating it is that people write teeny tiny on signs?). Please note the following conversation that took place today:

Renee: "Look! There's one!"

Mel slams on her brakes, throws the car into reverse and flies backwards

Mel: "What does it say? Why can't anyone in Long Beach find a Sharpie that's not running out of ink?"

R: "Okay, let's see...it either says large studio...or large salad..."

Mel chokes on her Diet Coke while trying not to spit it out.

M: "Hmmm...I wonder how big the chicken is in the salad?"

R: "Yes hello, I'm calling about the large salad for rent on 1st and Orange. Yeah, how big is the chicken, uh...I mean kitchen???"

M: "What's that you say, the bedroom is small, but there is plenty of room for a large crouton in the living room?"

R: "Excellent."

M: "Excellent."

Hee. Renee makes me giggle!

8 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Well it could have been worse - the sign might have said 'dessert' instead of 'salad', and turned out to be a trifle small...

10:54 PM  
Blogger Oddgirl said...

It's nice to have good friends. I think sometimes we all need a chuckle. Is Renee available for visits with my father-in-law?:)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Oddgirl said...

I forgot, Ian you are too funny.:)

8:56 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i know that feeling... i had a boyfriend who lived in long beach. before he got his place, we would drive all over looking for those stupid little "for rent" signs. and everyone would write so damned small... it was such a pain in the ass. also, he never slammed on the brakes. he would actually drive all the way around the goddamned block to get back to the place to call. needless to say, it would take forever.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Quyen said...

You're lucky you have good friends who will go apartment hunting with you. I can only bribe my sisters to go with me... Well, I guess that's cuz I hate helping my friends look for apartments... but I'm always game for helping them move shit in and out of their U-Haul hehehe :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kis Lee said...

sometimes you just gotta make that sudden u-turn.

apartment hunting sucks! hey, maybe you can dress up like an old lady and live in seal beach. i think some of those 55 and older places are pretty cheap.

1:33 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Hey Mel - here's one. Just saw it in the paper. "Mud-hut spacious, in own swamp, it is. Hmmm. Strong with the force, you must be, or rent to you, I will not. Call Yoda on Degobah 5-339-26..."

12:57 PM  
Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Q - Good to know you like to unload U-Hauls...I will keep that in mind! Hee!

Little Eyes - Hee! I could be just like "Bosom Buddies", except old...and without Tom Hanks...nevermind, doesn't sound so fun.

Ian! Kill me, you do! Very interested. I am...mmmm...

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home