Thursday, February 03, 2005

Reaffirming My Position

I would like to take this opportunity to reaffirm my position as #1 Geek in the LBC. You see I am horribly addicted to geeky television. I think that the Discovery Channel, the Travel Channel and the Food Network are the best!

I have an ongoing list of places that I would like to go, based on the many hours I have spent watching the Travel Channel. And some places that I have crossed off my list because really, I have already seen everything there is to see. One of the best things about the TC, though, is when they show the mega-fancy hotel rooms that a peon like me would otherwise never have a chance to see! I love it! Oh, and the fact that they will countdown the world's best truck stop restrooms. In case you needed sanitary places to pee around the world. World's Best and Samantha Brown are the best things on that channel. Although, I always feel kinda sad for cute little Sam. She always has to eat alone. Boo.

The Food Network is good for lazy TV watching. You don't really have to give it 100% of your attention. You can read, play a game or clean house while watching that channel! Just be sure to have plenty of snacks in your cupboard if you are watching anything on this channel. It tends to make you VERY hungry. I have an interesting love/hate relationship with Rachel Ray. Her $40 a day is impressive, even if I do tend to think that sometimes she only gets good deals because she has a television camera with her. I love her kitchen on 30 Minute Meals. And she always makes it look so easy. However, I can't stand the fact she gives food nicknames (I would never!). The worst is how she refers to Extra Virgin Olive Oil as "EVOO". I realize that she only has 30 minutes to cook a meal, but does it really save you that much time by calling it that!??! Ugh! It always starts with just a few nicknames, next thing you know, it is like a foreign language and your loyal viewers have no clue what you are talking about! But I digress. My absolute FAVORITE program on the Food Network is when they have the competitions. Especially the pastry ones. And they are never ending! Who knew there were such a wide variety of Pastry Chef competitions! You could spend your entire Pastry Chef career just in competition! One night I was watching a wedding cake competition that took place in Boonyville, USA. Hee. These were some of the most god-awful wedding cakes you could imagine (take note, Cat). All colors of the rainbow. Some with fountains. Some with hideous flowers. But boy, those toothless bakers sure thought they were purty! Think of all the Aquanet one could buy with the prize money! Hee.

What really solidified my entry in the Geek Hall of Fame was the special on The Discovery Channel this past Sunday. Yes, I am talking about Pompeii: The Last Day. I was so excited for this show. I had been discussing it for several weeks with anyone who would listen. I washed my face, got in my pajamas, grabbed a blanket and a snack and was ready to devote hours to this program. And trust me when I say, I was not disappointed. It was fascinating. I enjoyed every minute of it. At one point on Tuesday, I found myself telling a friend about it:

MM: "Oh! Did you watch Pompeii on the Discovery Channel last night???"
F(bewildered look, like I am testing her): "Uhhhh...nooooo...I guess I missed it..."
MM: "It was soooooo good! You really missed it! I was so impressed with how they did it. They even had computer imagery to show what could happen if Mount Vesuvius were to erupt like that in modern times! It was so cool!"
F (walking away, shaking head): "Ummm...okay..."

The worst part about being alone in my love for Pompeii? All the missed Mount Vesuvius/Zoolander jokes! Don't get me wrong, I said them out loud. And then laughed at my own jokes. Once again proving, I am the biggest geek in the LBC.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kis Lee said...

what's geeky about the food network? i love the food network even though i don't really cook.

hey, and the history channel has some pretty good specials on occasion.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Yankeebob said...

Yeah Mel, I watched the Pompeii show too. I love the History Channel, the Discovery Channel and TLC. I don't go for the Food Network though. Maybe that keeps me out of the Geek Club?

I love those 'natural disaster' shows. I want to go to Hawaii just to see the volcano that's been leaking lava for 10 (?) years or so. I would go there first, then hit the beach after. Maybe that puts me back into the Geek Club? (I'm not kidding though.)

5:04 PM  
Blogger peachy said...

I like the food network (surprise), although I don't watch it often. I love the 30 minute meals.

I didn't see the Pompeii special, but if that's what you like, more power to ya. Don't be ashamed of your geekiness. Someone, I think J, said she always wanted to be a geek. People do get jealous, ya know?

5:35 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

I am a geek too. I have been known to utter "aw yeah!" at the sight of a programme on deep sea creatures, while my friends edge further along the couch...

8:31 PM  
Blogger a beer sort of girl said...

Dude. I had to kick the remote away from The Husband when then Pompeii show came on. I was so excited, I did not want his non-stop channel surfing to distract me. :)

And don't worry about Sam eating alone. I always imagine that in between takes the crew sites down to chow with her. I think this about Sam, and Ian Wright from PBS' GlobeTrekker show. I love that one too!

12:59 PM  
Blogger grace said...

no cable here, either, v... we can be in the no-cable-having club :P

i was never much of a tv watcher... but i did love the same channels when i did have cable...

so, are you the biggest geek or the biggest couch potato? :P

4:46 PM  
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I don't watch any of that stuff, but any jokes involving Zoolander would be a big hit with me.

7:45 PM  
Blogger THE J Mo said...

Want even more geeky? Having your laptop on your lap while watching food programs - seeing a dish you want to make, surfing to the food show's site then downloading and printing the recipe out right then and there! When I get through watching, I've got a pile of paper in my printer that I can take to the grocery store with me.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Rarry said...

Thank God...I thought I was the only dork who watched the Food and Discovery channels. I just cant get enough of Iron Chef (The original..not the fucked up American version)and Myth Busters. I missed the Pompeii special, but I have a reminder set for the re-run.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home